Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ridiculous Leafs trivia: 92-93 edition

I recently realized that it's late August and I haven't come close to cracking double digits in posts for the month. It's not really my fault -- there's just nothing happening. But I really should write something, because I'm not a Toronto sportswriter so I don't get 14 weeks of vacation every summer.

So I've come up with some trivia, ranging from easy-ish to downright difficult. This is the sort of information that I've packed into my brain over the years, leaving me unable to remember what color my wife's eyes are. I think they might be a kind of a greenish-browny blue. Anyways, in the words of Al Bundy: "I know this, because I don't know anything but this."

Today's topic is the 1992-93 Maple Leafs. Here are the questions, in rough order of difficulty. Post your answers in the comments section, and let's see who knows their stuff.

#1 Who scored the goal that gave Gilmour a record-tying sixth assist in one game?

#2 In the late stages of game two against the Wings, and well on their way to a 2-0 deficit in the series, the Leafs showed some fight during a mini-brawl that featured Doug Gilmour taking down Bob Probert and Bob Cole's famous call "and oh, we're going to have a donnybrook here". Which Leaf threw the series of sucker punches that started the fight, and who was his (deserving) target?

#3 After Borschevsky scores the goal to eliminate Detroit, who's the guy going crazy with the water bottle on the bench?

#4 Wendel Clark famously beat Bob Probert in a pair of fights during a December game at the Gardens. Other than the fights, what else was notable about that game for Probert?

#5 Who was Pat Burns referring to when he made his infamous "I wouldn't know him if I ran over him with my truck" quip? Bonus question: what was that person's comeback?

#6 What classic Canadian rock song greeted the Maple Leafs before their first home playoff game in three years?

#7 The day after Wendel Clark beat his face in, Marty McSorely appeared on the cover of the Toronto Star with a massive shiner. According to the headline next to the photo, who was "in the hangar, awaiting orders"?

#8 Which media member was honored with their own novelty rap song? Bonus question: according to the lyrics, "Lackawack, Cheektowaga, all through Buffalo, he's known as the ..." what?

#9 The Leafs used three different artists as anthem singers during the 1993 playoffs. Two regulars who alternated, and a third artist who made one disastrous appearance. Name all three artists.

#10 Prior to Leafs/Kings game seven, CBC played an awesome montage of highlights from the series. The montage was set to the theme song from which sports movie?

Update: Most answers can be found in the comments below. For the full list, click here.




16 comments:

  1. I get to go first! Awesome.

    1. Dave Ellet
    2. Felix Potvin and Dino Ciccarrelli?
    3. I know that guy! I know that guy! He's still with the team. It's ... awww crap.
    4. First game back in Canada after border crossing retrictions withdrawn.
    5. Bill Berg. There was a comeback?
    6. Takin' Of Care of Business
    7. No idea. Was it Charlie Huddy?
    8. I'm gonna say Gord Stellick and that they called him the "Maestro". Or was that a dream I had?
    9. Forget the names of the tuxedo singers, but they're the best. Was the disaster "the Good Brothers"?
    10. Don't know, but I'll guess "Chariots Of Fire". Does that count as a "sports" movie?

    Great idea for a post. Do you do requests?

    I'll probably do a longer post on the Potvin/Hextall fight some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 9 when this happened, how the crap am I supposed to know half this stuff without internet cheating?

    Also on the request angle, I'm still waiting on that Wendel Clark video analysis

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good General has gone 4/10. I'll hold off on confirming any answers until a few more folks have had a shot.

    I was 9 when this happened, how the crap am I supposed to know half this stuff without internet cheating?

    Quiet, junior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. ellett
    2. sylvain lefebvre on dino the douchebag
    3. i think it's brian papineau. that water bottle shit was priceless
    4. no idea.
    5. barry melrose (?)
    6. no idea
    7. way too hard
    8. harry neale (?)
    9. michael burgess, someone, and someone else
    10. rocky (?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I can't remember any of this considering how the playoffs totally consumed my life that year.

    But I believe the answer to number 8 is Bowen....Joe Bowen.... if not then we should still honour that song because it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I change my answer for number 7? I woke up this morning and sat straight up and said, "Number 7 is the Bomber!". I knew it wasn't Charlie Huddy, I was just trying to be funny. Ken Baumgartner's waiting in the hanger for orders, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Jared in being too young to remember most however, these are the ones I "know"

    3. Papineau!
    4. First game back in Canada after getting busted with possession of snow outside of winter.

    So...who's gonne cheat and google everything?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So...who's gonne cheat and google everything?

    Good luck. Most of these are un-googlable.

    (Which is kind of sad, since it means nobody else in the history of the internet has ever cared about any of this. That makes me a loser, doesn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Correct answers so far:

    1. Dave Ellet
    2. Felix Potvin vs. Dino Ciccarelli
    3. Leafs waterboy (now equipment mananger) Brian Papineau
    4. First game back in Canada
    5. Bill Berg (what was the comeback?)
    6.
    7. The Bomber
    8.
    9. Michael Burgess, ???, and the Good Brothers
    10.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great, here's my best guesss....

    1. It was against Minnesota, but I have no idea who potted the sixth. Andreychuk?

    2.Potvin - Ciccarrelli

    3. Brian Papineau

    4. First game in Canada after he was charged with a drug related offense (smuggling cocaine in his tighty whiteys I think)

    5. Bill Berg. I use this line all the time.

    5a. Does LeafsTV count as Berg's comeback or is it those bad ads he did for ESPN when he was with the Rangers?

    6. I have no idea...I do remember Thin Lizzy's "Boys are Back in Town" as the regular season soundtrack...

    7. Ken Baumgartner

    8. Joe Bowen (was this from Anderson's awful The Playoffs Are Here?)

    9. ???

    10. I'm stumped, I can remember a great montage of Potvin-Ciccarreli clashes set to Van Halen's "Right Here Right Now" and a horrid, embarrassing one of Andy Moog highlights set to a cover version of Madonna's "Vogue" (make a save there's nothing to it, Moog. Moog. Moog.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was 22 and the only one I knew was Berg. (Well, I sort of knew Ellett and Potvin, but only sorta.)

    And I'm a trivia person.

    That's embarrassing.

    1967ers

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's embarrassing.

    For which one of us?

    ReplyDelete
  13. mf37 added two more correct answers.

    1. Dave Ellet
    2. Felix Potvin vs. Dino Ciccarelli
    3. Leafs waterboy (now equipment mananger) Brian Papineau
    4. First game back in Canada
    5. Bill Berg (what was the comeback?)
    6. The Boys are Back in Town, by Thin Lizzy
    7. The Bomber
    8. Joe Bowen (he's known as the "mic commando")
    9. Michael Burgess, ???, and the Good Brothers
    10.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For me.

    I shoulda smoked those questions. Must've been smoking something else.

    1967ers

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Good Brothers? I saw them at a bar around 1994. Burns used to jam with them.

    1967ers

    ReplyDelete