Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sundin makes it official

Mats Sundin at the trade deadline:

"I have never believed in the concept of a rental player. It is my belief that winning the Stanley Cup is the greatest thing you can achieve in hockey but for me, in order to appreciate it you have to have been part of the entire journey and that means October through June."
Mats Sundin today:
"I will not make up my mind before the season starts. That's how I feel right now. Others have started playing in the middle of the season."
He's still leaving the door open to retirement. But it seems clear now that he's changed his mind about his sole reason for refusing to waive his no-trade clause. Assuming he ever really meant it in the first place.




5 comments:

  1. I still think the Leafs should have offered him a spot in the organization when he was done playing in return for his waiving his no trade clause. It makes me bitter to think that this guy could have fetched a first, second and two good prospects at the deadline and that we could have seen him hoist the cup. Instead he's going to go out looking bad because he can't keep his story straight and can't make up his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt the promise of a future job would have meant much to him. This is a guy who's on the first flight out of Toronto as soon as the season ends -- you don't get the sense he wants to put down roots post-career like some others have. Which is fine.

    Besides, if he really did want a front office job I'm sure he could look at all the other former players kicking around at MLSE and figure out that he was pretty much a sure thing as soon as he said the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is also something different between entering the season in December and switching teams at the trade deadline. Not much of a difference, but a difference.

    I can't blame Sundin for JFJ's mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tbot,

    There may be a difference, but it's not one that Sundin mentioned back in February.

    You're right, though, when you're talking about all-time Maple Leaf screwups Sundin can only stand in awe of JFJ.

    ReplyDelete